Saturday, July 11, 2020

The Phina Project 101.

 "The Phina Project" (Phina- \fee-nuh\ 1: the act attempting to achieve awesomeness 2: a possible superhero secret identity i.e.: SuperPhina 3: an apparently bored girl's quest to craft, brainstorm, and create.  i.e.: The Phina Project). 

I originally decided I was going to Craft My Way Through College, so you may have to forgive some posts that talk about school and finals and the like. Unfortunately, the crafting through college was more of a hobby, rather than any source of substantial income that my over zealous mind dreamed up and thought possible. I started an Etsy shop, but as it turns out, custom made dolls don't get quite the hype on Etsy as one would have hoped.  The Phina Project does, however, have her very own Facebook page.  There were some hiccups trying to get the word out and about via word of mouth, carrier pigeon, message in a bottle, and other such means my little ambitious mind was been able to conjure up. So I have settled on blogging, Pinning, and my good ol' pal: Instagram as I craft my way through life instead of simply through college.

I have recently discovered that 'crafting' isn't quite as scary of a word as I had previously assumed.  My mom is the crafty type, but for whatever reason the word 'crafts' created the image of 80's hair, 40 cats, 20 doilies spread throughout a musky living room, 10 whiskers on a decrepit chin, and 5 reading glasses hanging around a wrinkly neck. Where that image came from is beyond me.  I know plenty of creative and crafty women who are none of the above, and I would like to imagine I don't fall in to any of the aforementioned categories either.   Where do I fall in on the crafting spectrum you may ask? I tinker.  I'm an optician by day (I work with eye glasses), and when I come home, my mind wanders, and I like to create.  Primarily, I have been making cloth dolls (as my roommates, boyfriend, and friends point out: may make me sound slightly psychotic, but please, lets just look over as many stereo types as we possibly can here), for the past 4 years, and it has been fun to see their evolution and how far I have come since the first time I decided I was too broke to buy a Justin Beiber doll for my niece and decided to make one instead.  I have pretended to paint, and attempted book binding.  And now I am currently undertaking the challenge to learn how to quilt.  I plan on working on other wonderful projects as soon as I know what they are. I like the idea of seeing, or thinking up some grand project and being able to somehow make it happen. The sky is the limit I suppose.  Wouldn't it be nice if The Phina Project  became a world wide epidemic?



To help get word of The Phina Project out there, please spread the love and news about 'The Project' to friends and loved ones.  It would be especially helpful if you were to 'Like' The Phina's Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/pages/The-Phina-Project/124131677676987

2 comments:

  1. Your blog could use a link to your etsy page: http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThePhinaProject?ref=ss_profile

    ReplyDelete